Truma Water Heater Problems!

It’s been such a long time since my last post…..time has really flown by and it’s not until the Christmas break that I’ve had some free time. Motorhome life has been far from smooth recently for a number of reasons. In August my Truma Water Heater developed a leak that is still causing me problems today.

Truma Water Heater Problems

I first noticed the problem when the carpet near the boiler door seemed to be wet. On taking a closer look I noticed that water was dripping from the hot water outlet connection. A call to Truma UK revealed that the part had changed in the late 90’s and I would need to give them the boiler serial number. Naturally, mine was the older boiler and the part number I needed was 34000-55600 which had been phased out. The newer part number for the newer boiler was 34150-01.

Truma Water Heater Problems

Truma Part 34000-55600

I asked Truma what I was supposed to do as it seemed totally unfair to have to buy a new boiler costing hundreds of pounds just because a small piece of plastic had failed! The advice given was pathetic, apparently I should visit a plumbers merchants and get them to try and make something up. Shocked at the poor customer service offered by Truma UK I decided to email Truma Germany but their reply, whilst apologetic was equally unhelpful.

Taking the old part to a plumbers merchant they tried to replicate the fittings in metal and whilst it did fit, neither they or I truly understood the significance of the thinner pipe that points up which I now know to be the breather tube. If you blow into this Truma Water Heater part you will discover that most air rushes down the larger pipe and the thinner pipe has some valve built inside that only opens in the event that pressure builds up too much inside the boiler, a safety feature.  The plumbers merchant did not know this and failed to replicate this valve meaning that when I activated a tap water would simply head up and out of the overflow through the pipe that exited the vehicle underneath.

Truma Water Heater

After this initial failure I decided to buy the newer part to see up close how they differed. Whilst the older part is a screw type the newer is considered to be a push type. However if you discard some of the parts from the new part you effectively have something that looks quite similar to the old part. At least the thread that connects to the boiler is the same and the existing hoses would also fit the hot water and overflow pipes. With the new part fitted however the pipes barely cleared the boiler casing so I could not connect hot water outlet or overflow pipes. A further trip to a plumbers merchant and after buying a 1/2 inch BSP male to female extender and applying some plumbers paste and tape the new part was fitted. As luck would have it once it was screwed tight the pipes lined up perfectly.

This repair seemed to have worked but some weeks later water began to leak again. This time I purchased two parts for the Truma water heater and set about trying again. Until now it seemed to have worked but today again it began leaking. I could try and fit the final spare part I ordered in the hope I will get a few more months from it but I think I will speak to a relative who is a plumber to see if there is any other solution. I certainly don’t see why I should buy a new Truma water heater when the actual boiler works fine. Shame on you Truma for not supporting your water heaters for longer!


  1. Iveco Camper January 21, 2012
  2. corona express March 14, 2012
  3. Bert July 4, 2012
  4. Gary Box July 7, 2012
  5. Tony August 5, 2012
  6. Gary Box September 4, 2012
  7. Tony Oliver May 2, 2013
  8. Andy Twose January 8, 2014
  9. Gary Box January 30, 2014
  10. Richard Pearson March 30, 2014
  11. Gary Box March 30, 2014
  12. Andy Twose August 11, 2014
  13. Andy Twose August 11, 2014
  14. Gary Box August 12, 2014
  15. Mike Steers July 31, 2015
  16. Gary Box September 4, 2015
  17. Biffobear February 10, 2016
  18. Gary Box February 15, 2016
  19. Iain Harrison May 22, 2016
  20. R. GARDNER May 28, 2016
  21. Dave June 7, 2016
  22. Gary Box June 7, 2016
  23. David Hepburn July 15, 2017

Leave a Reply